Friday, May 8, 2009

The Return...

It's been ages since my last post. And, perhaps you should ignore the earliest ones.

It's not just my return however, I need to talk about. No. I need to talk about something I should've been talking about all along, something which had I been talking about it, I'd have no need to talk about it the way I'm about to.

I need to talk Trek.

I'm a Trekkie. I've been a fan of Star Trek my whole life, it's always been in my world and I've always been fond of it. I won't go into the ways I'm a trekkie, but suffice it to say I'm a third generation trekkie and amongst those in my own family, I'm hands-down the biggest one.

So why am I not looking forward to seeing the new Star Trek movie?

Maybe because it's insulting it's core audience, trekkies, with the tag "it's not your fathers trek"

Maybe because the entire idea of Kirk and the original crew meeting each other at the academy is retarded.

Or maybe it's because of who Paramount decided to hire as a producer (director).

As soon as I heard that J.J. Abrams was involved, my heart filled with dread.

Here's a brief rundown on why:

Reason #1 why JJ is a bad choice to be involved in any way shape or form in a star trek movie; in 1998 there were two movies about Earth threatened by an astronomic body impacting the surface and wiping out all life. One was slightly scientific, decently written, and attempted to be poignient and halfway realistic, the other was...


ARMAGEDDON, which didn't attempt any of the preceeding, instead opting for classic hollywood cliche of the hard working blue-collar guy saving the world, wrapped in a trite and very forced feeling love story.

Mr. Abrams co-wrote this piece of rubbish, which should speak volumes about his writing prowress.

He then wrote the craptastic television series 'Felicity', which I paid no attention to, becuase
A) I have an IQ of over 100, and B) I have far better things to do with my time.

He then created the show 'Alias', which once more paying attention to hollywood rules about roles for women, was about an unveiled threat of a girl who was, of course, extremely attractive and fond of inexplicable costume changes.

Then he wrote another movie; Mission Impossible III. Now none of the mission impossible movies were any good, but this one was quite possibly the stupidest of them all.

What he's most well known for is the series 'Lost', which is touted for being confusing, and this is confused for being deeply encoded with messages. I've watched it; the reason you're confused is that it's badly written, with no actual plot and no characterizations. It's not deep, you'll just have to trust me on that.

Having proved himself just as incapable of a writer as every other producer in hollywood, he's become a producer himself.

He produced most of the aforementioned wastes of writing, then Cloverfield; which was an epic waste of time.

So, it's only natural to bring someone so versatile in his lack of talent and attach him to a new star trek movie right?

If you want a #1 box-office hit, yes. If you want a decent star trek movie? NO.

Star Trek was killed by this fool, and it didn't have to be.

If Paramount was in any way interested in preserving star trek and appealing to it's MASSIVE core audience, they'd have hired a far more talented Jewish writer/producer than JJ Abrams.

They should've have hired Ira Steven Behr, the MAN who made DS9 interesting, and who proved time and time again he can write great characters, and fantastic plots, which are the very things that TREKKIES have always appreciated. Even if DS9 itself went largely unappreciated, Ira clearly knew how to write, and anyone who actually watched DS9 would be hard pressed indeed to disagree with my position that DS9 was the best of the trek shows, and that Ira was THE MAN.

But, Paramount is a hollywood studio. They don't care, they're not supposed to care. They wanted to 'rescue' star trek, and by that they didn't mean to restore it and give it back to it's core audiences. I'd smelled it cooking since Berman and Braga kept talking about 'appealing to a new audience'. Paramount only wanted to turn trek into it's Star Wars; a massive intellectual singularity, a platform to use to sell products and advertising.

In short; the exact opposite of the inherent spirit of star trek.

Roddenberry must be rotating in his orbit in rage!

No comments: